Frequently Asked Questions
Special | A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z | ALL
During the course you may need to make posts to the forums.You should automatically be subscribed to all the relevant forums when you start the course, but if you are not you can subscribe to a forum by simply clicking the ‘Subscribe’ button. Go to Forums in the Activities block to subscribe.
If you are finished a course and no longer want to receive notifications of new posts, you can unsubscribe, by clicking the ‘Unsubscribe’ link or clicking the button under the Subscribed column. Go to Forums in the Activities block to unsubscribe.
When you click the link to your course and once you’ve entered your enrolment key, you should be directed to your course home page.
At the very top of the page, you will see your “breadcrumb” path e.g. educatetogether > IntroETLearnTogether. This works much the same way as your computer will when you go into your files (i.e.: C://user/mydocuments/sampledocument.doc) to show you where exactly you are in the site. You can go back to any point in the pathway by clicking the word of the place you want to go. Clicking educatetogether will take you back to your home page. This is an easy way of jumping to a particular section without having to constantly press the ‘back’ button on your browser, which may not always take you where you want to go.
The boxes you see to on the right and left of your screen are called blocks. While the layout of these blocks may vary slightly from course to course, the following blocks will usually be available.
The center section is where your course information is displayed. This section will include the content and activities for your course.
You can show and/or hide different topics by clicking on the ‘box’ icon in the top right hand corner of each topic.
At the beginning of the first module of each course, there will usually be a Forum for General News and Announcements. Information about general course administration, dates, etc. will be posted here from time to time.
Read down through the material clicking on any linked items when they come up and remembering that you will need to turn up your sound or put in/on your earphones/headphones depending on what type of item you are accessing. You can tell the type of item by the symbol beside the link e.g. audio or presentation.
REGISTERING ON THE SITE
To register on the site click on 'register on the site HERE' on the home page. You will be taken to the registration page, where you must enter information in the fields marked in red.
• Email address*: You enter this twice
We have designed our courses so that they are easy to navigate, even for people with limited experience in using computers and the internet, and basic equipment. To access all of the content in Educate Together online courses you will need:
· Broadband Connection to the internet
· An up-to-date internet browser (Firefox works best with Moodle, but Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Safari should also be fine)
· Adobe Reader
· Adobe Flash Player (Version 9 or later)
· Windows Media Player / Quicktime / VLC player for viewing video content
· Access to YouTube and other internet sites
· Speakers (Either Built-in to your PC/MAC or external ones that have been plugged in) *To test if you have built-in speakers, play a piece of music on your computer. If you have no music on your computer already, try this website http://www.live365.com/stations/john262?site=web and click play in the left hand column. If this doesn’t work within a minute then you probably don’t have inbuilt speakers and will need to get some. (NB: Double check that your volume is turned up!)
· Headphones (these are optional to improve the clarity of the audio items)
· Microsoft Word (or other similar program, eg: Open Office)
If you don’t have any of the above, please see the list of solutions below.